THE RAILROAD SYSTEM OF TEXAS: A COMPONENT OF THE STATE AND NATIONAL TRANSPORTATION INFRASTRUCTURE
Railroads continue to play an important role in the Texas transportation system. This study addresses the potential for implementing a rail planning process in the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT). The study is documented in three reports, produced in coordinated and parallel efforts by the Center for Transportation Research and the Texas Transportation Institute (TTI). This report documents the work performed by TTI, whereby a rail planning framework is presented which formalizes the planning process and presents the key elements as a series of discrete and logical steps. These steps may be used to guide TxDOT in the formation of goals, identification of issues and affected parties, selection of appropriate analytical methodologies, location of data sources, and implementation of results. The report also presents an in-depth discussion of several key issues facing transportation agencies. These include rail line abandonment, intermodal service planning, and urban rail rationalization. A discussion of the Texas rail system covers the Class I railroads, shortline railroads, Amtrak, and the Mexican rail system.
- Research project title: The Railroad System of Texas: A Component of the State and National Transportation Infrastructure.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Austin, TX United States 78763-5051
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Roop, S S
- Warner, J E
- Rosa, D
- Dickinson, R W
- Publication Date: 1998-11
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 434 p.
- TRT Terms: Abandonment; Intermodal services; Planning; Railroads; Short line railroads; State departments of transportation; Urban areas
- Identifier Terms: Amtrak
- Uncontrolled Terms: Class I railroads
- Geographic Terms: Mexico; Texas
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00769501
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-99/1703-3,, Res Rept 1703-3,, TTI: 0-1703
- Contract Numbers: Project No. 0-1703
- Files: TRIS, ATRI, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Sep 22 1999 12:00AM