SAFE USE OF DIESEL EQUIPMENT IN COAL MINES
The author first clears some misconceptions about the safety of underground diesel equipment and examines the technical considerations involved in safe installation and operation of diesel equipment in underground gassy coal mines. Then a brief historical review of diesel locomotives underground is presented. Also discussed are the operational and safety advantages of diesels, the emission of diesel exhaust gases and ventilation, as well as the maintenance of diesel engines. Finally, the future potential for diesels in U. S. coal mines is outlined.
- Proceedings of the AMC Mining Convention, set no. 5: Coal Mining 1&2, held in Denver, Colorado, September 26-29, 1976.
American Mining CongressRing Building, 1200 18th Street, NW
Washington, DC USA 20036
- Alcock, K
- Publication Date: 1976
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 51 p.
- TRT Terms: Coal mines; Diesel engine exhaust gases; Diesel engines; Diesel locomotives; Exhaust gases; Mine haulage; Mines; Underground structures; Ventilation systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Mine ventilation; Underground transportation
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00157565
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 4 1977 12:00AM