WAYSIDE DERAILMENT INSPECTION REQUIREMENTS STUDY FOR RAILROAD VEHICLE EQUIPMENT
An analysis of the causes of the railroad equipment-caused derailments was made. Data reported to the FRA was the primary source of derailment information; however, data from other sources were also available. Individual cause codes were consolidated into groups that had a common characteristic that might be used to detect the presence of the defect. Seven consolidated cause code groupings were identified that accounted for over 80 percent of the cost of equipment-caused derailments. Existing wayside inspection systems were evaluated. Developmental wayside inspection systems were identified. A method was developed that assigns a purchase cost number for possible wayside detection schemes that is based on the cost of derailment and effectiveness of the system. A recommendation is made that FRA set up Wayside Inspection Station(s) as a means of evaluating improvement to present systems and new wayside inspection methods.
- Record URL:
- Sponsored by the FRA/U.S. DOT through the Transportation Systems Center, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Shaker Research CorporationNorthway 10 Executive Park
Ballston Lake, NY United States 12019
- Frarey, J L
- Smith, R L
- Krauter, A I
- Publication Date: 1977-5
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 150 p.
- TRT Terms: Benefit cost analysis; Bolsters; Brakes; Crash risk forecasting; Data collection; Defects; Derailments; Detectors; Dynamics; Frames; Hot box detectors; Inspection; Railroad facilities; Risk assessment; Safety; Trucks; Vehicle components; Warning devices; Wheels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Performance analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Brake systems; Side frames; Truck dynamics; Wayside; Wheel defects
- Subject Areas: Motor Carriers; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00157508
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-77/18 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT/TSC-1029
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 4 1977 12:00AM