BREAKING THE LOGJAM. THE GOVERNMENT'S CONSULTATION PAPER ON FIGHTING TRAFFIC CONGESTION AND POLLUTION THROUGH ROAD USER AND WORKPLACE PARKING CHARGES
The UK Government's Transport White Paper in 1998 included a proposal to allow local authorities to introduce charges on congested roads or workplace parking spaces, if the income from these charges were spent on improvements to public transport and traffic management to combat traffic jams. This consultation document presents the Government's proposals on road user charging, charging on motorways and trunk roads, and workplace charging levy, together with specific issues for consultation, on which views are sought. The proposals concern: local authority powers, scope and implementation (of the parking levy), use of net proceeds, the order-making procedure, statutory guidance, special provisions for London, type approval of in-vehicle and roadside equipment (for road pricing) exemptions, and enforcement. Issues for consultation include: bringing schemes forward, the level and scale of the charges or levy, exemptions, enforcement (of the parking levy), appeals and adjudication, net proceeds, and off-street parking. Copies of all comments, that are not regarded as confidential by their originators, will be made available for public inspection in the library of the Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions (DETR).
DEPARTMENT OF THE ENVIRONMENT, TRANSPORT AND THE REGIONSELAND HOUSE, BRESSENDEN PLACE
LONDON, United Kingdom SW1E 5DU
- Publication Date: 1998
- Pagination: 48 p.
- TRT Terms: Arterial highways; Federal government; Freeways; Improvements; Income; Law enforcement; Local government agencies; Parking; Policy; Public participation; Public transit; Road pricing; Tariffs; Traffic congestion; Traffic control
- Uncontrolled Terms: Traffic relief
- Geographic Terms: United Kingdom
- ITRD Terms: 632: Congestion (traffic); 1534: Enforcement (law); 183: Government (national); 9108: Improvement; 256: Income; 192: Local authority; 2748: Main road; 2752: Motorway; 955: Parking; 173: Policy; 142: Public participation; 744: Public transport; 240: Road pricing; 241: Tariff; 654: Traffic control; 631: Traffic relief; 8119: United Kingdom
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Policy; Public Transportation; Security and Emergencies; Society;
- Accession Number: 00765746
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Jul 1 1999 12:00AM