WEATHER AVOIDANCE USING ROUTE OPTIMIZATION AS A DECISION AID: AN AWUN TOPICAL STUDY, PHASE 1
The goal of this program is to use route optimization and user interface technologies to develop a prototype decision aid for dispatchers and pilots. This decision aid will suggest possible diversions through single or multiple weather hazards and present weather information with a human-centered design. At the conclusion of the program, a laptop decision aid will be available to be used to demonstrate concepts to industry for integration into commercial products for dispatchers and/or pilots. This document describes work completed in phase 1. This report includes: 1) discussion on how weather hazards were identified in partnership with experts, and how weather hazards were prioritized; 2) static representations of display layouts for integrated planning function; 3) cost function for the 2D route optimizer; 4) discussion of the method for obtaining, access to raw data of, and the results of the flight deck user information requirements definition; and 5) itemized display format requirements identified for representing weather hazards in a route planning kit.
Honeywell3660 Technology Drive
Minneapolis, MN United States 55418
- Publication Date: 1998-12-30
- Pagination: 68 p.
- TRT Terms: Aviation safety; Cost estimating; Data collection; Decision support systems; Flight decks; Hazard evaluation; Integrated systems; Interfaces; Optimization; Routes and routing; Technology assessment; Weather conditions
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00765419
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 26 1999 12:00AM