PRACTITIONER'S FORUM: VIDEO TECHNOLOGY IN TRAFFIC ENGINEERING AND TRANSPORTATION PLANNING
Video and, to a lesser extent, machine vision technologies find ever-increasing application in traffic management and transportation planning. Traffic surveillance and incident management constitute the most widespread uses of video technology; machine vision processing of license plate images for purposes of electronic toll enforcement make up most of the other common applications. Increasingly, however, these technologies are being used for monitoring high occupancy vehicle (HOV)/high occupancy toll (HOT) lanes, in adaptive traffic signal control systems, for monitoring speeds, and for collecting travel time data. Video-based license plate image capture, often with automated "reading" of license plate images, is also used in the conduct of point-to-point and mail-out, mail-back origin-destination surveys. These and other applications of video and machine vision technology are discussed, along with the appropriate match between the demands of a given application and the characteristics of the video technology suitable for that application.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/oclc/8674831
- This article was reprinted in the September/October 1999, Vol 125, No 5 issue.
Reston, VA United States 20191-4400
- Shuldiner, P W
- Publication Date: 1999-5
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: p. 169-175
- TRT Terms: Adaptive control; Automated toll collection; Costs; Data collection; High occupancy vehicle lanes; Incident detection; Incident management; Lasers; Law enforcement; License plates; Machine vision; Monitoring; Speed limits; Surveys; Technological innovations; Technology assessment; Traffic engineering; Traffic signal control systems; Traffic surveillance; Transportation planning; Travel time; Videotape recorders
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00763635
- Record Type: Publication
- Contract Numbers: HKUST719/96E, 10202455/13308/14100/302/01, IHR-535
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 25 1999 12:00AM