NRVMA HONORS VEGETATION PROS WITH '98 ROADSIDE EXCELLENCE AWARDS
This article recognizes the 1998 winners of the Roadside Excellence Awards, offering a synopsis on each categorical winner and their vegetation program or research. The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans), winner of the State DOT category, has developed a new direction for its vegetation control program over the past 12 years. Caltrans' goals of reducing chemical dependency have resulted in a management strategy that stresses segment-specific, integrated vegetation management for the near term and long-term changes to highway facilities design that can eliminate the need for vegetation control and promote the establishment of appropriate species of vegetation on roadsides to accomplish the same. The plan for Jackson County, Oregon, winner in the county category, provided uniform standards and management practices for the county and state, while providing a format for them to work together on vegetation management. Birmingham, Alabama, was recognized in the city category for its Make-A-Difference tree planting program, which averages 30 tree plantings per year that install 5,000 trees in the city. Dr. Harvey Holt, Purdue University, won in the support category. Dr. Holt's research activities focus on industrial vegetation management consisting of roadsides, railroad and electric rights-of-way, total vegetation control, tree growth regulators, and forestry.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/oclc/11660022
- Page Range: pp 32-34, 105
Scranton Gillette Communications380 E Northwest Highway, Suite 200
Des Planes, IL United States 60016-2282
- Publication Date: 1999-2
- Features: Photos;
- Pagination: 4 p.
- TRT Terms: Awards; Cities; Counties; Environmental protection; Highway design; Research; Roadside flora; State departments of transportation; Trees; Vegetation; Vegetation control
- Geographic Terms: Alabama; California; Oregon
- Subject Areas: Design; Environment; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Research; I21: Planning of Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00762847
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 27 1999 12:00AM