EVALUATION OF DRAINAGE PIPE BY FIELD EXPERIMENTATION AND SUPPLEMENTAL LABORATORY EXPERIMENTATION (INTERIM REPORT NO. 1)
The durability properties of coated and uncoated corrugated galvanized steel and aluminum drainage pipe in Louisiana were investigated. Some of the highly corrosive areas of the state make durability requirements of metal pipe as critical as strength requirements. Research and maintenance personnel of the Department installed ten types of metal drainage pipes at each of ten locations in 1973. Research personnel selected the test sites based on geographical location and on the pH and electrical resistivity values of the soil and effluent. The types of culverts providing the best resistance to corrosion after 520 years of field exposure are the asbestos-bonded asphalt-coated galvanized steel pipe and the polyethylene-coated galvanized steel pipe. This is the consensus of a panel who inspected the test culverts in the field and of a laboratory evaluation. All of the coatings are exhibiting one degree or another of distress in highly corrosive areas of the state. /Author/
- Record URL:
- This report was sponsored by and conducted in cooperation with the Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration.
Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development1201 Capitol Access Road, P.O. Box 94245
Baton Rouge, LA United States 70804-9245
- Kinchen, R W
- Temple, W H
- Lacinak, H W
- Publication Date: 1977-3
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 53 p.
- TRT Terms: Aluminum; Asbestos; Corrosion; Corrugated pipe; Culverts; Drainage; Durability; Electrical resistivity; Ethylene resins; Field studies; Galvanizing; Laboratory studies; Metal pipe; pH value; Pipe; Steel pipe
- Uncontrolled Terms: Polyethylene
- Old TRIS Terms: Resistivity
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Geotechnology; Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00157263
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-LA-101 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: LA HPR Stdy #72-1SS
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Nov 23 1977 12:00AM