CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS: "AMERICA'S FREIGHT SYSTEM IN THE 80'S AND 90'S...BUT HOW TO GET THERE?"
This document contains the proceedings from a two-day conference sponsored by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), Transportation Systems Center (TSC), the DOT Office of R&D Policy, and the Federal Railroad Administration called "America's Freight System in the 80's and 90's...but how to get there?" The Conference was held at TSC in Cambridge, Massachusetts on December 1-2, 1976. Its focus was primarily on future technology needs, opportunities, and priorities in the context of major long-range economic and social concerns. Through discussion and debate, the conference objectives were to stress long-range technological needs in intercity freight, high profitability, high-payoff areas, the need for more technological research and application, and ways of overcoming economic and institutional barriers to technological development. The speeches, remarks, and papers of the conference participants appear in this document.
- Sponsored by the Offices of the Secretary, Assistant Secretary for Systems Development and Technology, and Research and Development Policy, and co-sponsored by the Federal Railroad Administration, Office of Policy and Program Development, U.S. DOT. See also RRIS 21 144087 7701 "America's Freight System in the 80's and 90's...But How To Get There?", for additional materials prepared in advance of this conference.
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Publication Date: 1977-6
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 193 p.
- TRT Terms: Competition; Development; Economic analysis; Forecasting; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Information systems; Railroad electrification; Railroad terminals; Railroad yards; Regulations; Research; Socioeconomic factors; Technological forecasting; Traffic forecasting; Transportation modes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Research and development
- Old TRIS Terms: Government regulations
- Subject Areas: Economics; Freight Transportation; Law; Railroads; Research; Society; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00157227
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Department of Transportation
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-OST-77-40 Proceeding
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 4 1977 12:00AM