EVALUATED DATA BASE FOR MARYLAND FREIGHT TRANSPORTATION PLANNING
The results are presented of a study to collect and evaluate freight transportation data on motor carrier, railroad, airline, water, pipeline and other goods movement modes. Problems encountered in acquiring this data are, noted, and sources of the existing data are listed. It is noted that on a tonnage basis, by all major modes except trucking, Maryland is a net importer of goods. Tonnages moved both into and out of the state by the five major modes. About 158 million tons of freight were transported to or from Maryland in 1973. The goods had an estimated value of more than $21 billion. It is suggested that an approach to augmenting and improving upon the existing commodity flow data base of Maryland Might be to concentrate on the modal funcition points and major population centers, and perform analyses of vehicle trips and tonnage flows from a terminal. The anlayses should consider destination by region outside the state and within the state; regional rankings could be calculated by tonnage and vehicle movements; and statistics could be created by commodites carried and vehicle loadings.
- This report was prepared for the Maryland Department of Transportation.
University of Maryland, College ParkDepartment of Transportation, Business, and Public Policy
College Park, MD USA 20742
- Taff, C A
- Thieblot Jr, A J
- MCGEE, M P
- Publication Date: 1975
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 93 p.
- TRT Terms: Air transportation; Commodity flow; Data collection; Databases; Economics; Freight transportation; Motor carriers; Origin and destination; Pipe; Railroad transportation; Statistics; Tonnage; Transportation; Transportation planning; Water transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Economics; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00157200
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 16 1978 12:00AM