PEOPLE MOVEMENT FOR DOWNTOWN IMPROVEMENT
Information on the range of pedestrian and transportation improvements available for the improvement of the downtown movement system is presented. These improvements include simple and low cost innovations such as temporary street closing (closed to vehicles),sidewalk widening, and pedestrian and bus passenger shelters, as well as more expensive propositions. Escalators, elevated skyways or public walkways below street level, and moving walkways for conveying standing or walking passengers in a straight line either level or up a moderate grade are also suggested. Free or reduced fare bus service is appropriate in large business and recreational areas. Traffic lanes along curb or within the center median may be used exclusively by buses or shared with taxis or carpools. Park and ride facilities at the edge of the city center and paratransit services like the jitney and the minibus will also help movement within the CBD. People movers consisting of separated or entrained driverless electric cars (of 6 to 60 passenger capacity) which operate on exclusive guideways, and other fixed guideway systems (aerial tramways, electric trolley buses, Light Rail Transit) are also discussed. The pedestrian mall (closed to vehicles) and transit malls (for exclusive use by transit and pedestrians) are further possible innovations. Examples of the successful use of these improvements are described, and their typical operation, range of capacity and capital, and operation and maintenance costs are summarized.
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1977-1
- Features: Figures; Photos;
- Pagination: 26 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus lanes; Bus stop shelters; Central business districts; Costs; Escalators; Free fares; Guideways; Improvements; Moving sidewalks; Paratransit services; Park and ride; Pavement widening; Pedestrian flow; Pedestrian malls; People movers; Sidewalks; Traffic restraint; Walkways
- Uncontrolled Terms: Widening
- Old TRIS Terms: Free transportation
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Highways; Public Transportation; Society; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00157189
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 16 1981 12:00AM