FRACTURE MECHANICS OF FERROUS MATERIALS
The state-of-the-art of fracture mechanics in its methodological aspect and related information, such as fracture-safe-design and fracture-control in marine structural engineering, are briefly reviewed. An extensive literature survey illustrates recent trends of research work on brittle fracture and fatigue problems in offshore and ship structures. The reliability approach to fatigue problems and brittle fracture is now in the preliminary stage of application to ship structure problems and a design philosophy for marine structures is outlined together with a description of the procedure. The Report also identifies and recommends various topics of research in this field, such as the stress analysis of cracks and investigation of fracture criteria and brittle fracture initiation under complex mechanical and/or geometrical conditions. Details of some twelve international conferences on the broad subject of Fracture Mechanics held from 1973 to 1975 are listed.
- Report of Committee III.1, August 23-26, 1976.
International Ship Structures Congress (Sixth)Boston, MA United States
- Publication Date: 1976
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 124 p.
- TRT Terms: Cracking; Fatigue (Mechanics); Fracture mechanics; Stresses; Structural analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Crack stresses; Fatigue stress
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00157151
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 4 1977 12:00AM