FRP THIRD RAIL PROTECTIVE COVER SYSTEM
An FRP protective cover is being used over the energized contact rail on the new Washington, D.C. METRO transit system. A unique combination of mechanical, electrical and special requirements led to the development of a system consisting of a pultruded cover supported by moulded brackets for this application. The various investigations which led to the optimum choice of materials and methods is described. The quality control procedures required to assure compliance with the specifications are reviewed.
- Presented at the 31th Annual Technical Conference of the Reinforced Plastics/Composites Institute.
Society of the Plastics Industry, Incorporated355 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY United States 10017
- Connors, L P
- Publication Date: 1976
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: Electric power generation and transmission; Polymers; Protection; Rail transit facilities; Railroad electrification; Safety; Safety equipment; Third rail
- Identifier Terms: Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority
- Old TRIS Terms: Electric power collection; Protective devices
- Subject Areas: Energy; Public Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00156881
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper 10-C Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 4 1981 12:00AM