STATEWIDE SURVEY OF SKID RESISTANCES OF PAVEMENTS
Since 1969, when a research-type, skid-test trailer was acquired, U.S. routes were surveyed in 1970 and 1971, and the interstate and toll road systems were surveyed in 1971. The data were used for research purposes and have been reported. The interstate and toll road systems were surveyed again for research purposes in 1974. Since October 1974, surveys have been performed under a highway safety project grant. All primary and principal secondary roads, involving 4,612 miles (7425 km), were surveyed in 1975. The 1974 and 1975 surveys data reported herein, represented 25 percent of the mileage of rural, state-maintained roads in Kentucky and 75 percent of all traffic on rural, state-maintained roads. A second skid tester, survey-type, was acquired in April 1976; and survey-testing of major, rural collector roads continued during 1976. About 2 percent of the interstate mileage, about 19 percent of the primary mileage, and about 16 percent of the secondary mileage surveyed may be considered slippery. A small percentage of both state primary (3.7 percent) and state secondary (2.5 percent) roads were classified as very slippery. These pavement sections in particular should be flagged for deslicking. Trends and analysis of accidents on wet pavements from 1969 thorugh 1975 are reported. Description and evaluation of the resurfacing program from the standpoint of deslicking of pavements is also presented. In addition, results of high-accident location testing and evaluation are included. /Author/
- Record URL:
- Prepared in cooperation with DOT, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Federal Highway Administration.
Frankfort, KY United States 40601
- Rizenbergs, R L
- Burchett, J L
- Warren, L A
- Sampson, W M
- Publication Date: 1976-12
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 205 p.
- TRT Terms: Data collection; Evaluation; Highway safety; Pavement performance; Pavements; Primary highways; Resurfacing; Rural highways; Secondary roads; Skid resistance tests; Slipperiness; Surveys; Traffic crashes; Wet weather
- Uncontrolled Terms: Wet pavements
- Old TRIS Terms: Deslicking; Resurfaced pavements
- Subject Areas: Highways; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00155956
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: 609-77-001-001
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Sep 28 1977 12:00AM