AMPHIBIAN STOL AND ITS FACILITIES
The short-haul transportation problem, worldwide, is characterized by congestion both on the ground and in the air. Solutions in the form of ground transportation are expensive in terms of land utilization, high development costs, their adverse effect on the environment and ecology, and are 20-30 years in the future. STOL offers a solution, but the high cost of land for downtown STOLports has precluded implementation. The STOL amphibian provides a solution which uses existing waterways situated downtown in every major city. It will relieve ground congestion and alleviate saturated airports. Studies show that such a system meets the ten basic requirements established by the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 and that it contributes significantly to a reduction in the energy consumed in travel to and from the airports.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Smethers Jr, R G
- Publication Date: 1974
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 15 p.
- TRT Terms: Aircraft; Airport access; Airports; Amphibious vehicles; Energy conservation; Land use; STOL aircraft; Structural design; Traffic congestion; Urban areas; Waterways
- Uncontrolled Terms: Airport design
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Economics; Energy; Environment; Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00155868
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Aerospace Abstracts
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 740488
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 28 1977 12:00AM