NOISE-REDUCING CONSTRUCTIONS AND COST ESTIMATING IN HIGH NOISE AREAS
The 1975 Noise Exposure Forecasts (NEF's) Base Line and Quiet Engine Contour maps were examined to obtain octave-band sound-pressure levels on the NEF-30 and -40 contours from which noise reducing structures and cost estimates were developed for existing and new buildings in the B and C zones. The process of computing the sound-pressure levels existing at approximately ground level at one mile intervals (the distance selected to provide sufficient sound-level difference) on the NEF-30 and -40 contours is discussed. The computed maximum octave-band sound-pressure levels on the NEF B and C contours were selected along with suitable interior noise design goals to determine the appropriate sound reducing constructions for various existing and new buildings types in the B and C zones. In addition, cost estimates were derived for these sound reducing constructions and the cost estimates are discussed and the results summarized. Recommendations for reducing the intruding aircraft noise levels by a system of electronically introducing a suitable interior background noise in the various building types are discussed. Respective cost estimates in incremental cost per square foot are also given for comparison of cost per square foot sound reducing constructions with cost per square foot of an electronic masking system.
Goodfriend (LS) and AssociatesCedar Knolls, NJ United States
- Publication Date: 1970-2
- Pagination: 61 p.
- TRT Terms: Aircraft noise; Airport noise; Construction; Cost estimating; Effective sound pressure; Environmental impact analysis; Environmental impacts; Estimates; Noise; Noise control; Sound level
- Uncontrolled Terms: Noise contours; Noise reduction
- Old TRIS Terms: Noise exposure
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Construction; Environment; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00155610
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Aviation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: Report No. 2098A
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 20 1977 12:00AM