THE AIRPORT: ARCHITECTURE--URBAN INTEGRATION--ECOLOGICAL PROBLEMS
Questions regarding the development and the history of the airport are discussed along with airport planning criteria, airport types, runway design, meteorological problems in airport selection, ecological considerations, accessibility problems, and aspects of noise and air pollution. Subjects related to the airport interface are considered, giving attention to terminal design, the development of terminal configurations, passenger handling, and various terminal sectional areas. Aspects of airport design related to the conduction of air traffic operations are explored, taking into account the use of the airspace, holding patterns, approach zones, terminal air traffic control, and special problems connected with the employment of new types of aircraft such as the Concored, V/STOL, and high-capacity conventional aircraft. Descriptions of a number of specific airports are given to illustrate the general concepts underlying the design and the operations of an airport.
Praeger Publishers, Incorporated111 Fourth Avenue
New York, NY USA 10003
- Balnkenship, E G
- Publication Date: 1974
- Pagination: 159 p.
- TRT Terms: Air traffic control; Airport access; Airport noise; Airport operations; Airport planning; Airport runways; Airport surface traffic control; Airports; Airspace (Aeronautics); Airspace (Law); Architecture; Environmental impact analysis; Environmental impacts; Intermodal terminals; Location; Passengers; STOL aircraft; Structural design; Takeoff; Transportation operations; VTOL aircraft
- Uncontrolled Terms: Airport design
- Old TRIS Terms: Passenger operations; Short takeoff aircraft; Terminal design; Vertical takeoff
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Economics; Environment; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Pavements; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00155547
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 20 1977 12:00AM