ECONOMIC IMPACT OF AIRPORT DEVELOPMENT
The purpose of this thesis is to establish a systematic evaluation and measurement of economic impact of airports on communities, and to gain insight into the nature and size of the economic impact. Regional economic impact of airport development is propsed to be considered as a set of benefits under the regional development objective within the multi-objective evaluation framework. Current methods for the measurement of economic impacts are presented and criticized from both the theoretical and practical point of view. In addition some theories which are applicable to the analysis of economic impacts are presented and shown to be useful. To gain insight into the nature of the subject some case studies are undertaken and empirical examples are extensively compiled. It is shown that economic impact of airport development appears to have been overrated and is, in fact, to be quite local and modest.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyDepartment of Civil Engineering, 77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA USA 02139
- Yajima, T
- Publication Date: 1971
- Pagination: 162 p.
- TRT Terms: Airport planning; Airports; Communities; Development; Economic analysis; Economic impacts; Evaluation; Regional development
- Old TRIS Terms: Airport development
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Economics; Society; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00155481
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 20 1977 12:00AM