A STUDY OF HANDS-OFF DRIVER LICENSE ENFORCEMENT THROUGH RAPID COMMUNICATIONS
This report describes the study of methods of identifying and apprehending suspended and revoked drivers in a moving stream of traffic. Each enforcement method analyzed is based on the use of communications technology to enable random mass screening of vehicle tag numbers in an effort to detect suspension and revocation violators. The term "hands-off" is used to indicate that vehicles will only be stopped after a probable violator has been identified through the vehicle tag number and the technique would not detain or interfere with the legal driver. Five hands-off techniques are presented and discussed that span a range of sophistication from voice data entry and on board computer systems to a printed manual list of denied drivers. The study describes the supporting communication system and ADP system requirements for implementation of a pilot program and outlines a general program planning procedure. Additionally, technology that may in the future be adaptable for use in hands-off enforcement is reviewed and discussed. Finally, a suggested state selection procedure is outlined for the determination of states that could participate in a demonstration hands-off driver license enforcement program.
Young (Arthur) and CompanyBethesda, MD USA
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1977-4
- Pagination: 52 p.
- TRT Terms: Communication devices; Communication systems; Computer programs; Data collection; Data processing; Detection and identification; Detectors; Driver licenses; Drivers; Identification systems; Law enforcement; Methodology; Monitoring; Motion; Revocation; Suspensions; Traffic surveys; Traffic violators
- Old TRIS Terms: Identifying
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00155416
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-802-331 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-6-01408
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 4 1977 12:00AM