HIGHWAY TRAFFIC KINEMATICS AND THE CHARACTERISTIC RELATION
A new relation describing the fundamental formula of road traffic is presented, where the approach is guided by an emphasis on the parameter determination aspects of the problem. The proposed relation includes the degrees of freedom sufficient to allow independent satisfaction of the inherent highway constraints. It is shown how the relation can be fitted to an empirically determined curve through appropriate choice of the parameters.
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- O'Mathuna, D
- Publication Date: 1977-3
- Pagination: 24 p.
- TRT Terms: Curve fitting; Density; Flow; Formulas; Highway traffic; Highways; Kinematics; Mathematical models; Traffic surveys; Velocity
- Old TRIS Terms: Density functions; Formulas mathematics; Vehicular traffic
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00155384
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-OST-76-48
- Files: NTIS
- Created Date: Jul 19 2002 12:00AM