TRANSPORTATION NEEDS AND RESOURCES FOR HUMAN SERVICES
Results are reported of a survey to determine the extent to which social and health agencies in the Minneapolis - St. Paul, Minnesota area provide or purchase transportation services for their clients and the modes used for such transportation. Of the 283 agencies receiving a mailed questionnaire, 219 agencies responded (77 percent). It was found that transportation is provided to their clientele by many health, recreation, and social agencies. These agencies provide two types of transportation: bringing the client to the agency and taking the staff or services to their client's home. Because of the lack of a coordinated approach, an independent agency-by-agency development of transportation has occurred. The annual expenditure for transportation for human services agencies in 1975 was around $2 million; about 85 percent of this was for purchased or reimbursed services and only 13 percent was expended for agency - owned vehicles. Most agencies do not attempt to determine the cost of providing transportation to direct service consumers. Unmet transportation needs include more drivers and more vehicles over a wider geographic area. Recommendations are offered concerning: examination of costs, cooperation with other agencies, vehicle use and maintenance, and a charge for transportation. An annotated bibliography and survey instruments are appended.
Comm Health & Welfare of Hennepin Co, Inc404 South 8th Street
Minneapolis, MN USA 55404
- Publication Date: 1976-4-26
- Pagination: 76 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Costs; Emergency vehicles; Human factors; Level of service; Medical services; Needs assessment; Physically handicapped persons; Public health; Recreation; Service agencies; Social service; Surveys; Transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Services
- Old TRIS Terms: Public service vehicles; Special service
- Subject Areas: Economics; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00155151
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 31 1978 12:00AM