LOCOMOTIVE TRACK CURVATURE INDICATOR
The patent application describes a system for dynamically measuring and displaying track curvature information to a locomotive engineer on a real-time basis. A car mounted sensor produces a variable output responsive to changes in the car's orientation caused by variation in track curvature, a control circuit converts the sensor output into an electrical signal representative of the changes in orientation, and an indicator receives the signal and provides a dynamic display of the derived track curvature information. In a preferred embodiment, the sensor comprises an extendable line having one end attached to a bracket that is connected to the center of a supporting truck cross-frame, while the other end is wound on a retractable supply reel mounted on the car's frame. In response to relative movement between the car's frame and the supporting truck, caused by movement of the car over curved track, the length of the line withdrawn from the reel varies and is monitored by an electrical potentiometer that produces an output signal indicative of track curvature.
- This Government-owned invention available for U.S. licensing and, possibly, for foreign licensing. Copy of application available NTIS.
Department of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Vrabel, J D
- Publication Date: 1977-2-7
- Pagination: 17 p.
- TRT Terms: Curvature; Detectors; Information display systems; Locomotive engineers; Locomotive operation; Measurement; Measuring instruments; Patent applications; Railroad tracks; Real time control; Real time data processing; Safety; Sensors; Systems of measurement; Train operations
- Old TRIS Terms: Curvature measuring systems; Locomotive engineer's tasks
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00155084
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: PAT-APPL-765-876 Patent
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 31 1977 12:00AM