POSSIBILITIES AND LIMITATIONS IN METROPOLITAN STREET MAINTENANCE IN WINTER
Urban street maintenance in winter is especially complicated by concentrated traffic load, spatial narrowness, intersections, pedestrian walkways and overpasses. It consists in clearing and surface treatment (spreading salt, sand, etc.) at busy and dangerous locations. Construction firms are used for clearing operations. In Munich winter street maintenance covers 26 million sq m of roadway, 800 km of sidewalk, 28,000 pedestrian crossings, and approximately 3500 individual sites. Expenditures in winter 1969/1970 for November to April are shown in diagram form (snow removal, sand and salt truck use, sand and salt consumption, labor, output value). Costs totaled 11 million DM for this extremely severe winter. Thus economically acceptable upper critical value was reached.
- Trans. of Strassen Verkehrs Technik (West Germany) p1-4 Jan-Feb 71.
Hanover, NH United States 03755-1290
- Schmuck, A
- Publication Date: 1977-4
- Pagination: 12 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Cold weather; Costs; Highway maintenance; Ice; Intersections; Labor; Maintenance; Maintenance management; Metropolitan areas; Operations; Overpasses; Roads; Salts; Sand; Snow removal; Surface treating; Traffic loads; Translations; Urban areas; Walkways; Winter
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Maintenance costs
- Geographic Terms: Germany
- Old TRIS Terms: Street maintenance
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Finance; Freight Transportation; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation;
- Accession Number: 00154963
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CRREL-TL-613
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 31 1978 12:00AM