LOS ANGELES AND LONG BEACH HARBORS MODEL STUDY. REPORT 4. MODEL DESIGN
This report describes the design of the Los Angeles and Long beach Harbors hydraulic model for investigation of harbor oscillation characteristics of the existing harbor and for evaluation of various proposed harbor modifications. The effects of wave refraction, diffraction, viscous friction, wave reflection, wave transmission through the harbor breakwaters, wave filters, and wave absorbers were considered. Wave generator design, automated model data acquisition and control, and model data analyses are also described. This report is the fourth in series Technical Report H-75-4 published under the general title Los Angeles and Long Beach Harbors Model Study. A model distortion ratio of 1:4 and a vertical scale ratio of 1:100 (1:400 horizontal scale ratio) were selected to minimize the model area and to provide a vertical scale ratio where accurate model wave measurements could be assured. The model reproduces approximately 253 square miles of prototype area. Model limits were selected to enclose a strong convergence zone seaward of the harbor breakwater. Adjustment of the initial generated wave-front position in the model was necessary to compensate for model distortion and the maximum model depth of -300 ft mllw. The electrohydraulic wave generator used in the model study is composed of 14 separate 15-ft units for a total wave generator length of 210 ft and is capable of (a) generating waves with a prototype period ranging from 15 to 600 sec, (b) generating a wave with small variation in period and height between units, (c) defining resonant response over a narrow period band, (d) generating a variable wave height along the wave front, and (e) generating a curved wave front.
- See also Report #WES-TR-H-75-4-3, AD-A029646.7ST; and report dated September 75, AD-A016 904.
U.S. Army Waterways Experiment Station3909 Halls Ferry Road
Vicksburg, MS United States 39180-6199
- Outlaw, D G
- Durham, D L
- Chatham, C E
- Whalin, R W
- Publication Date: 1977-2
- Pagination: 112 p.
- TRT Terms: Cargo ships; Data collection; Friction; Harbors; Hydraulic structures; Hydrodynamics; Information processing; Ocean waves; Oscillation; Reflection; Refraction; Ship motion; Structural models
- Uncontrolled Terms: Hydraulic models
- Geographic Terms: California; Los Angeles (California)
- Old TRIS Terms: Harbor models; Horizontal orientation; Wave force analysis
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00154928
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: WES-TR-H-75-4-4 Tech Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 31 1977 12:00AM