AN ECONOMETRIC ANALYSIS OF ENROUTE AND TERMINAL AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL
This study was undertaken in connection with a comprehensive evaluation of proposed new investments in the upgraded Third Generation Air Traffic Control System. It involved a quantitative analysis of the relationship between ATC system outputs and inputs. Outputs are defined in terms of operations handled while inputs consist of labor and capital. Separate production functions were estimated for enroute (ARTCC) and terminal (tower) control operations. In each case, two different sets of data were used. One consisted of a cross-section of observations on individual facilities in a single year. The other was a time series of annual observations on that portion of the system taken as a whole. Following development of the production functions, an optimality analysis was conducted. Estimates of the unit cost of labor and capital were developed. These were combined, via a mathematical optimization procedure, with the preferred production functions to compute least-cost combinations of labor and capital for various levels of ATC service demand. The results indicate that, for both centers and towers, substantial additions to the net capital stock will be required over the years to come if expansion of the system (to meet growing service demand) is to be economically efficient. (Author)
- Prepared in cooperation with Administrative Sciences Corp., Alexandria, Va., Rept. no. ASC-R-110.
Administrative Sciences Corporation4660 Kenmore Avenue
Alexandria, VA USA 22304
- Eskew, H L
- Frazier, T P
- Smith, B M
- Publication Date: 1976-6-30
- Pagination: 79 p.
- TRT Terms: Air route traffic control centers; Air traffic control; Air traffic control facilities; Airport control towers; Capital costs; Econometrics; Enroute traffic control; Freight terminals; Intermodal terminals; Labor; Mathematical models; Modernization; Optimization; Production; Production methods; Systems analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Air traffic control system analysis; Air traffic control terminal; Enroute traffic control system; Investment expenditures; Upgraded third generation
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Economics; Freight Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00154897
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-AVP-77-1 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FA76WA-3769
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 31 1978 12:00AM