A STUDY OF RIGID POLYURETHANE FOAM. VOLUME I. SUMMARY REPORT
Presented in this report is information developed in the rigid polyurethane study sponsored by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The aim of this study was to obtain the detailed information necessary to evaluate the short and long term applicability of light-weight rigid polyurethane foam as applied to automobile structures for high speed crash energy management. A definite conclusion was then to be made as to whether or not rigid polyurethane foam is feasible for use in automobile structures and then present a preliminary set of performance specifications which could be used in future rule making action. To determine this feasibility the program was conducted in the following phases: Literature survey; Suitability; Feasibility; Discussion and conclusions; Recommendations; Specifications.
- See also Volume 2, PB-266 085.
Budd Company300 Commerce Drive
Fort Washington, PA United States 19034
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Grasso, V A
- Publication Date: 1977-3
- Pagination: 24 p.
- TRT Terms: Combustion; Crashes; Encapsulation; Energy absorption; Feasibility analysis; Flammability; Flammability tests; Foams; High speed ground transportation; High speed vehicles; Impact tests; Lightweight materials; Mechanical tests; Metals; Motor vehicle bodies; Performance evaluations; Polyurethane foams; Polyurethane resins; Specifications; Speed; Stiffness; Surveys; Testing; Tests; Thermal stability; Thermoplastic resins; Toxicity
- Uncontrolled Terms: Degradation; Destructive tests; Rigid
- Old TRIS Terms: Automobile bodies; Cellular plastics; Combustion products; Foam metals
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Railroads; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00154853
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-802-298 Final Rpt., TCR-0334-Vol-1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-5-01261
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 22 1977 12:00AM