AVAILABILITY AND USE OF ABANDONED RIGHTS OF WAY. TASK 1. ALTERNATE USE SUITABILITY CRITERIA
As a part of the study under Section 809 (a) (1) of the Railroad Revitalization and Regulatory Reform Act of 1976, an inventory of all railroad rights of way abandoned in the period 1970-1976 was developed. The Act required that all abandonments in the inventory be assessed for alternate use suitability. This task describes the alternate use suitability criteria and discusses the methodology that was used to determine suitable alternate uses for the inventoried abandonments. The methodology includes a comprehensive list of suitable alternate uses that make use of and preserve the linear corridor of the right of way. Twenty-six alternate uses are categorized under conservation/open space, recreation, transportation and utilities. It includes also a physical assessment methodology which combines a ranking of alternate uses and a rating of four key physical suitability characteristics (length, width, land use, and topography) with a decision tree which lists the possible alternate uses for every combination of the four physical characteristics.
- Also available in set of 6 reports PC E17, PB-265 991-SET.
Harbridge House, Incorporated11 Arlington Street
Boston, MA USA 02116
Department of TransportationOffice of Environmental Affairs, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Sieczkowski, S
- Krauss, J
- Bysshe, S
- Publication Date: 1977-1-17
- Pagination: 98 p.
- TRT Terms: Abandonment; Analysis; Bicycles; Corridors; Eminent domain; Highways; Inventory; Land use; Legislation; Ownership; Parks; Planning; Property acquisition; Property values; Public utilities; Railroad tracks; Railroads; Real property; Recreation; Right of way (Land); Utilization
- Identifier Terms: Railroad Revitalization and Regulatory Reform Act of 1976
- Uncontrolled Terms: Passageways; Skiing
- Old TRIS Terms: Analytical techniques; Land titles
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Law; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads; Research;
- Accession Number: 00154844
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/TES-77/001 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-O2-60514
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 22 1977 12:00AM