POTENTIAL MEANS OF COST REDUCTION IN GRADE CROSSING AUTOMATIC GATE SYSTEMS. VOLUME II. IMPROVED GATE ARM CONCEPTS FOR RAILROAD/HIGHWAY GRADE CROSSINGS
This report, Volume II of a two-volume study, examines the potential for reduction of the cost of installing and maintaining automatic gates at railroad-highway grade crossings. It includes a review of current practices, equipment, and standards; consideration of modification of existing specifications to permit use of alternative technologies; generation of design concepts for new gate systems or subsystems intended to offer significant economic benefits; analysis and comparative evaluation of the more promising concepts; and conclusions concerning further design, development, and test activities. Concepts found to be particularly promising include a pneumatic gate-drive mechanism and a swing-away, gravity-resetting arm support intended to reduce the incidence of gate breakage; and a gate arm using new materials to obtain resistance to breakage.
- Record URL:
- See also PB-265 724.
MB AssociatesP.O. Box 196, Bollinger Canyon Road
San Ramon, CA United States 94583
Washington, DC United States 20590
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Duttera, J
- Friedland, M
- Publication Date: 1977-2
- Pagination: 66 p.
- TRT Terms: At grade intersections; Barriers (Roads); Costs; Crashworthiness; Economic benefits; Gates; Grade crossing protection systems; Intersections; Pneumatic equipment; Prevention; Railroad grade crossings; Railroad tracks; Safety; Safety equipment; Specifications; Standards; Traffic crashes; Traffic regulations; Warning systems
- Uncontrolled Terms: Barriers; Motor vehicle accidents
- Old TRIS Terms: Grade crossing protection; Impact vulnerability; Pneumatic systems
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Highways; Law; Operations and Traffic Management; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00154801
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-858
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 17 1977 12:00AM