MODEL FOR PROVISIONAL (GRADUATED) LICENSING OF YOUNG NOVICE DRIVERS
The study was undertaken to develop a model process for the provisional (graduated) licensing of young novice drivers and to incorporate that model into a work statement for a 403 demonstration project. The model provisional licensing system includes the following major countermeasures: a parent-supervised driving practice program, a program of license testing and certification geared to young novice drivers, a nighttime driving restriction (at least for young problem drivers), and a youth-oriented driver improvement program. Included in the work statement for the project are a management system for the project, an evaluation design, key references, and a model driver improvement program for young novices. In addition to serving as the major portion of a Request for Proposal for a fiscal year 1977 NHTSA demonstration project, the model itself may also serve as a guide for state officials and legislators in modifying existing licensing programs to reduce the incidence of youthful violations and accidents.
Teknekron, Incorporated1010 19th Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20036
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Croke, J A
- Wilson, W B
- Publication Date: 1977-4
- Pagination: 161 p.
- TRT Terms: Adolescents; Demonstration projects; Driver licensing; Driver training; Drivers; Evaluation; Licenses; Mathematical models; Prevention; Project management; Safety; Specialized training; Teenage drivers; Tests; Traffic safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Models
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00154793
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-802-313 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-6-01384
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 17 1977 12:00AM