END CRACKING IN PRESTRESSED MEMBERS DURING DETENSIONING
This report is concerned with an investigation to determine analytically as well as experimentally the theory that end cracking observed during prestress transfer in pretensioned operations is caused by tensile stress induced by the restraining effect of relatively short length of unbonded cables. Production line prestressed members were monitored for strain increase during detensioning and the castings were measured for elastic shortening. Results were compared with an analytic model capable of furnishing cable strains during any detensioning scheme in a multiple casting operation. Full scale experimental members were designed such that during transfer tensile stress in concrete due to cable restraint would be maximized. Cracks were indeed caused as predicted by analytic calculations. Finally as an example problem, full scale production line girders were monitored for cable strain during detensioning and compared with analytically calculated values.
- Sponsored in part by North Carolina Dept. of Transportation and Highway Safety, Raleigh and Federal Highway Administration, Raleigh, N.C. North Carolina Div.
North Carolina State University, RaleighHighway Research Program, P.O. Box 5993
Raleigh, NC USA 27607
North Carolina Department of TransportationP.O. Box 25201, 1 South Wilmington Street
Raleigh, NC USA 27611
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Mirza, J F
- Tawfik, M E
- Publication Date: 1976-7
- Pagination: 86 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Beams; Cables; Casting; Cracking; Flame cutting; Fracture mechanics; Girders; Mathematical models; Numerical analysis; Prestressed concrete; Prestressing; Pretensioning; Reinforced concrete; Reinforcing steel; Sheathing; Strain (Mechanics); Stresses; Tension; Tensioning
- Uncontrolled Terms: Crack propagation; Models; Reinforced concrete beams; Stress concentration; Tensile stress
- Old TRIS Terms: Analytical method; Strains
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00154783
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/ERSD-110-75-6 Final Rpt., ERSD-110-75-6
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jun 17 1977 12:00AM