A COMPUTER PROGRAM FOR CALCULATION OF THE RESIDUAL STRESS DISTRIBUTION AND THE EFFECTIVE STRESS-STRAIN CURVE OF COLD-FORMED STRUCTURAL MEMBERS
This report describes a computer program which can be used to calculate the cross sectional residual stress distribution and the effective compressive stress-strain relationship of a cold formed structural member. The program is user oriented and requires input of only basic geometry and base metal stress-strain data. The program is general as to the shape of the cross section that may be analyzed. It accounts for inelastic material behavior during initial bending and during springback. Strain hardening and unequal compressive and tensile material stress-strain relationships are included in the analysis. Material properties are homogeneous and isotropic within the individual elements. However, they may vary from element to element. The Bauschinger Effect can be accounted for by utilizing non-dimensional experimental data or theoretical formulations. These different methods may be inserted in the program in modular fashion. The program can analyze the forming process as an operation consisting of up to ten individual bends. Graphs are presented that show close agreement between the program predictions and limited experimental results. (Author)
David Taylor Naval Ship R&D CenterBethesda, MD United States 20084
- Tacey, R K
- Publication Date: 1976-11
- Pagination: 78 p.
- TRT Terms: Bending; Bending stress; Calculation; Cold working; Compressive strength; Computer programs; Cross sections; Deformation curve; Homogeneity; Isotropy; Needs assessment; Residual stress; Scattering; Ship structural components; Strain hardening; Stresses; Structural members; Tensile properties
- Uncontrolled Terms: Compressive properties; Computation; Experimental data; User needs
- Old TRIS Terms: Computer programs (Stress); Inelastic scattering; Residual stresses; Stress computer program
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00154748
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DTNSRDC-76-0141 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 31 1977 12:00AM