SUBSURFACE INVESTIGATION. GLENMONT ROUTE, STATIONS 979+50 (B009) TO 1232+25 (B011) AND STORAGE YARD (B012)
Results are presented of 108 borings of the B-series made for General Plans Study of Glenmont Route, along Georgia Avenue in Montgomery County, from its junction with B&O Railroad Metropolitan Branch to the community of Glenmont of the Washington Metropolitan Area Metro system. The investigation was made to determine subsurface conditions over a length of 25,000 feet for subway tunnels in rock and at the location of three subway stations, Forest Glen, Wheaton and Glenmont. Forest Glen Station is presently planned to be a deep rock excavation whereas the two northern stations will be cut-and-cover excavations from the surface. The report includes continuous geological sections along the line of the subway in the three sections, logs of all of the test borings made at various times for WMATA in Sections B009 to B011, laboratory test data and recommendations regarding design and construction problems.
- Sponsored in part by Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, D.C. See also PB-232 515. Microfiche copies only.
Utah State University, LoganUtah Water Research Laboratory
Logan, UT United States 84321
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority600 Fifth Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1976-6-30
- Pagination: 284 p.
- TRT Terms: Boring; Excavation and tunneling; Foundations; Geological surveying; Metropolitan areas; Rock mechanics; Routes; Subways; Underground structures
- Non-Preferred Terms: Soil surveying; Subsurface investigations
- Geographic Terms: Maryland; Virginia; Washington (District of Columbia)
- Old TRIS Terms: Subway railways
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00154118
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MRWJ-76-146
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 31 2002 12:00AM