EFFECT OF AUTOMOTIVE PARTS ON VEHICLE AND ENGINE EMISSIONS. PHASE I. ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT
This final report documents the methodology and results of Phase I of the Investigation of the Effect of Automotive Parts on Vehicle and Engine Emissions. This study was performed for the Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Mobile Source Enforcement, under Contract No. 68-01-1957. The primary objective of this study was to identify engine and emission control system components which are critical in causing excessive emissions of one or more regulated pollutants. Phase I of the study investigated the emission-criticality of original equipment installed by the engine or vehicle manufacturers. A computer model was developed to calculate and rank-order an index representing the criticality of each component type. Separate rankings were developed for HC, CO, NOx and smoke (heavy-duty diesel engines) emissions and for pre-catalyst-equipped and catalyst-equipped vehicles. The index for each component type was calculated from the product of four factors representing the emission increase resulting from a component failure, the probability of component failure, the probability of component repair, and the sales volume of the component. The values of these factors were established based on data obtained from a search of technical literature and engineering analysis of system and component design or operating characteristics. The study was performed without emission or performance testing. However, a series of tests on 25 of the most emission-critical components was recommended to develop or refine data on emission increase and symptoms of failure.
Olson Laboratories, Incorporated421 East Cerritos Avenue
Anaheim, CA United States 92805
Environmental Protection AgencyMobile Source Enforcement Division, 401 M Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20460
- Carlson, R R
- Publication Date: 1976-12
- Pagination: 260 p.
- TRT Terms: Air quality management; Carbon monoxide; Carburetors; Catalysts; Components; Control systems; Design; Diesel engines; Emission control systems; Equipment; Exhaust gases; Failure; Fuel systems; Hydrocarbons; Ignition systems; Maintenance; Mathematical models; Methodology; Nitric oxide; Nitrogen oxides; Particles; Pollutants; Simulation; Smoke; Tests; Vehicle power plants
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria
- Old TRIS Terms: Air pollution control devices; Automobile engines; Motor vehicle engines
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00154106
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA/340/2-76/001 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EPA-68-01-1957
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 31 1977 12:00AM