EVALUATION OF THE BUS TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM (THE LIFT LINE) OF THE COMPREHENSIVE SERVICES DELIVERY SYSTEM OF THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND REHABILITATIVE SERVICES
Lift Line, a social service-oriented bus transportation system established in Palm Beach County, Florida as a two-year pilot project, is described and evaluated. Lift Line was initiated by the comprehensive services delivery system project to investigate the feasibility of implementing such a system on a permanent basis. Central findings of the evaluation are: (1) use of the Lift Line increased from 3,352 trips in October 1972 to 13,263 trips in June 1973; (2) in the opinion of service providers involved, Lift Line enables physically disabled clients and others in need of transportation to seek and obtain necessary social, medical, and training services; (3) the rural indigent and the elderly poor and disabled are particularly benefited by the service; (4) Lift Line operation cost is 48 cents per bus mile; and (5) the estimated cost savings due to Lift Line for June 1973 was $14,868, representing the difference between cost of Lift Line operations and the estimated costs of alternate modes of transportation that would have been incurred by Lift Line passengers. The Lift Line service and the problems it is intended to alleviate are described in detail. Continuation of the service beyond the pilot period is recommended. Supporting cost data, routes and schedules, and utilization statistics are included. Copies of questionnaires used to survey local government and private agencies concerning Lift Line are provided. Portions of this document are not fully legible.
Florida Department of Health and Rehabilitative ServicesBureau of Research and Evaluation
Tallahassee, FL United States
- Publication Date: 1973-8-30
- Pagination: 88 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Bus transportation; Costs; Evaluation; Level of service; Low income groups; Medical services; Methodology; Operations; Persons with disabilities; Public health; Questionnaires; Routes; Rural areas; Scheduling; Service agencies; Social service; Transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Disadvantaged persons; Services
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Planning and Forecasting; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00154097
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 31 1977 12:00AM