THE INFLUENCE OF CENTRAL CITY RADIAL FREEWAYS ON MANUFACTURING LOCATION DECISIONS. VOLUME 1
The influence of central city radial freeways on manufacturing development is explored in ten study areas located in 8 central cities of the Northeast and Southeast. Radial freeway influence is found to be positive in (1) revitalizing existing, declining central city industrial areas; (2) strengthening existing, stable industrial areas; and (3) developing new industrial areas. The 264 manufacturing firms located in the study areas employed more than 36,700 workers, generated nearly $6.8 million in local tax revenues and an estimated $231 million in annual wages. No major negative environmental impacts were identified beyond those normally associated with urban development or beyond the scope of contemporary performance standards. Operating characteristics of the sample firms showed them to be central city-oriented, given the presence of the nearby freeway. Open-ended interview results demonstrated that most manufacturing location decisions were based on one to three of six critical factors; availability of space, price of space, access to sales, labor, and supplies, and the presence of the freeway itself.
- See also volume 2, PB-265 475.
Hammer, Siler, George Associates1140 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20036
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1973-9
- Pagination: 238 p.
- TRT Terms: Central business districts; Economic analysis; Economic impacts; Employment; Environmental impacts; Freeways; Highway transportation; Industrial areas; Industrial buildings; Industries; Land use; Manufacturing; Plant location; Radial highways; Revenues; Taxation; Taxes; Urban areas; Urban development
- Old TRIS Terms: Central city
- Subject Areas: Economics; Environment; Finance; Highways; Society; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00154057
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/SES-77/09
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-7765
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 17 1977 12:00AM