REFLECTION CRACKING IN BITUMINOUS OVERLAYS
Nine different treatments to the pavement were included in the design of an Interstate project in Colorado in anticipation of finding a method of reducing or eliminating reflection cracking through bituminous overlays. Each treatment is represented by two 1,000 foot (305 metre) long sections, and there were two standard sections which were used as a basis for comparison. The major item of work included in this project was a leveling course and a 2 inch (5 cm) overlay of an existing 3 inch (8 cm) bituminous pavement which brought this section of Interstate 70 to full standard design thickness. The linear cracking in the eight year old pavement before the overlay was placed averaged 41 feet (12.5 metres) per 1,000 square feet (93 square metres) and the alligator cracking averaged 36 square feet (3.3 square metres) per 1,000 square feet (93 square metres) of test section. Construction of the test sections began in September and was completed in October 1971. The treatments listed in the order of their performance for reducing reflective cracking were: Petromat (Polyethylene fabric), Slurry Seal, Rubberized Asphalt, Reclamite, Petroset, Hand Poured, Heater-Scarifier, Plant Mixed Seal, Squeegee Seal, and Standard (no treatment).
- See also PB-219 122.
Colorado Department of HighwaysPlanning and Research Division, 4201 East Arkansas Avenue
Denver, CO USA 80222
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Donnelly, D E
- Mccabe, P J
- Swanson, H N
- Publication Date: 1976-12
- Pagination: 80 p.
- TRT Terms: Asphalt; Bituminous coatings; Bituminous overlays; Concrete pavements; Ethylene resins; Expansion; Fabrics; Field tests; Fracture mechanics; Highways; Maintenance; Pavement maintenance; Pavement performance; Performance evaluations; Polypropylene; Reflection cracking; Rubber; Sealing (Technology); Slurry seals; Solid wastes; Tires
- Uncontrolled Terms: Polyethylene
- Old TRIS Terms: Covering; Sealing
- Subject Areas: Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Pavements; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00154055
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/CO/RD-76/6 Final Rpt., CDOH-P/R-R-76-6
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, ATRI, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jun 17 1977 12:00AM