WHO ARE THE TRANSPORTATION DISADVANTAGED
Who are the transportation disadvantaged? The author proposes the definition -- those groups whose same opportunities for development have been hindered, either by omission or commission, by deficiencies in the transportation system. He then asks the question of whether those conditions which make an individual disadvantaged within the general societal context are the same conditions which make one transportation disadvantaged. He discusses income, disability, place of residence and place of employment, automobile accessibility, race, sex, and age as factors which may contribute to transportation disadvantage. The author concludes that only a tenuous case at best can be made that the poor, minorities, handicapped, elderly, women, and youth are really "transportation disadvantaged", but that these groups have certain general disadvantages vis-a-vis society which make them of special concern, in an equity sense, in planning a transportation system.
- Prepared for Department of Housing and Urban Development, Washington, D.C.
Metropolitan Transportation CommissionHotel Claremont
Berkeley, CA USA 94705
Department of Housing and Urban Development451 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20410
Department of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- McGuire, C
- Publication Date: 1976-4
- Pagination: 68 p.
- TRT Terms: Adolescents; Aged; City planning; Income; Low income groups; Minorities; Needs assessment; Physically handicapped persons; Public opinion; Rapid transit; Social factors; Sociology; Transportation disadvantaged persons; Transportation planning; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Identifier Terms: San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District
- Uncontrolled Terms: Disadvantaged persons
- Geographic Terms: California
- Old TRIS Terms: Minors; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Economics; Environment; Highways; Public Transportation; Railroads; Society;
- Accession Number: 00154041
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-BIP-WP-27-10-77
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 17 2003 12:00AM