LTV/SIG METROLINER TRUCK. FINAL DESIGN REPORT
The Vought Systems Division of the LTV Aerospace Corp. (LTV) in association with the Swiss Industrial Company (SIG) of Neuhausen Rhine Falls, Switzerland, has designed, manufactured, and tested the LTV/SIG Truck under contract to the Department of Transportation (DOT). The LTV/SIG Metroliner Truck design was derived from the SIG M-Type Truck. The primary design objective of the program, performed under contract to DOT, was to provide a truck having improved ride comfort at speeds to 160 mph for the Penn Central Metroliner route. The design features a welded steel frame and bolsters, a coil spring/bellcrank primary suspension, an air spring secondary suspension, and elastomeric components to minimize noise/vibration transmission. A worn wheel profile is used with its attendant advantages in wear and maintenance. Truck designs were completed to allow the use of either General Electric or Westinghouse propulsion systems. However, only the former configuration was completed through final assembly due to the unavailability of government-furnished Westinghouse traction equipment. Because most of the analysis and design was done in Switzerland, the metric notation is used extensively in this report.
- Record URL:
- See also volume 2, PB-265 135, RRIS 03 154023, 7702. Also available in set of 3 reports PC E09, PB-265 133-SET.
Vought CorporationSystems Division, P.O. Box 5907
Dallas, TX United States 75222
Washington, DC United States 20590
- BUMGARDNER, H M
- DEAN, F E
- Hall II, D W
- Publication Date: 1975-8
- Pagination: 345 p.
- TRT Terms: Air springs; Car trucks (Railroads); Design; Gears; High speed rail; Maintainability; Motors; Passenger cars; Railroad cars; Rapid transit; Ride quality; Springs (Vehicles); Suspension systems; Suspensions; Technology; Traction; Trucks; Undercarriages; Vehicle design; Vibration isolation
- Candidate Terms: Traction drives
- Identifier Terms: Metroliner (Express train)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria
- Geographic Terms: Switzerland
- Old TRIS Terms: Rapid transit railways; Running gear; Vibration isolators
- Subject Areas: Design; Motor Carriers; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00154024
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-76/250 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-20049
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 17 1981 12:00AM