LTV/SIG METROLINER TRUCK TEST. VOLUME II (SUSPENSION PARAMETER VARIATION TEST REPORT)
An additional running test program of the LTV/SIG Metroliner trucks was conducted with the objective of defining suspension system characteristics. The tests were conducted on revenue tracks of the Penn Central Railroad in the Northeast corridor between Washington, D.C. and Hudson, N.J. Testing began on February 28, 1975 and ended on May 7, 1975. A test train comprised of snack bar coach 850 and the fleet car, snack bar coach 855, was operated for a distance of 3657 miles. Test operations were conducted on 18 days, and a total of 65 runs was made. Three hundred and sixty-eight tests were conducted within the 65 runs. Tests were conducted with 21 different suspension system configurations. The final suspension system, tuned for optimum ride quality, demonstrated that Car 850 had a ride superior to Car 855. Test data also showed that Car 850 had a lower onboard noise level than Car 855. Data obtained during the test were sufficient to generate a load spectrum for the trucks and components when operated under the current Metroliner speed profile. In addition, load-to-speed relationships were obtained for the trucks and components.
- Record URL:
- See also Volume 1, PB-265 134. Also available in set of 3 reports PC E09, PB-265 133-SET.
Vought CorporationSystems Division, P.O. Box 5907
Dallas, TX United States 75222
Washington, DC United States 20590
- DEAN, F E
- Johnston, A W
- Sandlin, N H
- Publication Date: 1975-8-18
- Pagination: 103 p.
- TRT Terms: Data collection; Design; Dynamic tests; Gears; High speed vehicles; Maintainability; Railroad cars; Rapid transit; Ride quality; Springs (Vehicles); Suspension systems; Testing; Trucks; Undercarriages; Vehicle design; Vibration isolation
- Identifier Terms: Metroliner (Express train)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria
- Old TRIS Terms: High speed cars; Rapid transit railways; Running gear; Vibration isolators
- Subject Areas: Design; Motor Carriers; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00154023
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-76/252 Test Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-20049
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 17 1981 12:00AM