COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF DYNAMICS OF FREIGHT AND PASSENGER RAIL VEHICLES
Analytical studies have been conducted on several different rail vehicles typical of North American railroad operations. Mathematical models, and computer codes for the mechanization of these models, have been generated to provide a predictive methodology for determining vehicle/track dynamic interaction under a range of conditions. These models have been validated through comparison of results with test data from several of the rail vehicles. Results of a comparative analysis of nine different rail vehicles were presented in a Final Report (FRA-ORD&D-74-39) dated March 1974. In subsequent contract modifications, the analytical techniques were used to provide support to the Metroliner Ride Improvement Program (DOT-FR-20049). Both the vehicle ride comfort and truck hunting stability were investigated by means of computer simulation. Parameter variation studies were used to determine optimum suspension values for both ride comfort and hunting stability. The report provides a summary of work conducted under the original contract and five subsequent modifications. Recent modifications to the mathematical models to improve simulation accuracy are discussed. In addition, improvements in the representation of track geometry in power spectral density format based on recent measurements are discussed.
- Record URL:
- See also RRIS 02 090530, Bulletin 7502.
Battelle Columbus Laboratories505 King Avenue
Columbus, OH United States 43201
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Ahlbeck, D R
- Doyle Jr, G R
- Publication Date: 1976-11
- Pagination: 73 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Comfort; Degrees of freedom; Dynamic loads; Dynamic tests; Freight cars; Geometry; Hunting (Dynamics); Locomotives; Mathematical models; Passenger cars; Passenger vehicles; Power spectra; Railroad cars; Railroad tracks; Ride quality; Simulation; Stability (Mechanics); Suspension systems; Train track dynamics; Trucks; Undercarriages; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic analysis; Dynamic response
- Old TRIS Terms: Freight car design; Passenger car design
- Subject Areas: Design; Motor Carriers; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00154010
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-77/04 Summary
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-20077
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 17 1977 12:00AM