UTILIZATION AND FREIGHT RATE POLICY
The traditional role of the shipper and the carrier has changed over the years to a marked degree, and of necessity varies from commodity market to commodity market. However, the role of carrier and shipper as institutionalized by the Transportation Act of 1887 or Interstate Commerce Act has been that of adversaries. In 1973, Utah State University undertook a two year, federally funded study of current transportation practices to determine: (1) the historical basis of current practices and the economic interrelationships of these practices; and (2) a community program for effectively improving the role of the transportation community in the overall scheme of economic activity. This assembly of data follows the original project format completely, developing first the history of current practices and then evolving into the economics and interactions of the present structure. The final model for community action, developed subsequent to the completion of phase II has been reviewed by competent legal staff and provides a working base; however, local legal assistance should be sought if this plan is implemented by a shipper group.
Utah State University, LoganExtension Services
Logan, UT United States 84321
Department of TransportationOffice of University Research, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Taylor, M H
- Baker, F J
- Publication Date: 1976-9
- Pagination: 117 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Common carriers; Costs; Economic analysis; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Level of service; Policy; Policy making; Rate making; Rates; Regulations; Traffic managers
- Identifier Terms: U.S. Interstate Commerce Commission
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Freight rates; Services; Shippers
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Government policies; Government regulations; Rates costs
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Freight Transportation; Law; Policy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00153992
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/TST-76T-27 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-30116
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 17 1977 12:00AM