DEMONSTRATION OF A FLAIL-TYPE PAVEMENT GROOVING MACHINE
New York is investigating transverse grooving to improve pavement skid resistance at intersections. A demonstration was held to determine whether a flail-type grooving machine -- the Errut Spetin 12 -- would be a suitable alternative to diamond-cutter-equipped machines for grooving the heavily worn pavements being studied. Because of possible interest of others in this equipment, the results are being reported. It was found that (1) groove depth was not acceptable, but additional depth could probably be obtained through equipment adjustment and operator care, (2) spalling was not objectionable, (3) the machine can operate satisfactorily within a single traffic lane, (4) an initial skid number increase of 8 to 10 may be achieved, (5) work sites require cleaning at completion of the grooving, (6) the machine will provide acceptable grooving provided a slightly increased depth with acceptable spalling characteristics is achieved, (7) the high noise level of the equipment will require operator ear protection, and (8) the length of the demonstration sections and period since they were installed were insufficient to draw firm conclusions regarding skid resistance changes, durability, and noise characteristics of the grooves themselves, but these will be discussed in later reports on this research study.
- Prepared in cooperation with Federal Highway Administration, Washington, D.C.
Albany, NY United States 12232
Washington, DC United States 20590
- McNaught, E D
- Publication Date: 1977-2
- Pagination: 13 p.
- TRT Terms: Construction equipment; Durability; Evaluation; Intersections; Machines; Pavement grooving; Pavements; Skid resistance; Skidding; Sound level; Spalling
- Uncontrolled Terms: Skid number
- Geographic Terms: New York (State)
- Subject Areas: Highways; Pavements; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00153975
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-NYSDOTERA77RS53Intrm Rpt., FCP 41H2-412
- Contract Numbers: FCP 41H2-412
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jun 17 1977 12:00AM