ECONOMIC ANALYSIS OF PAVEMENT MARKING MATERIALS, ACQUISITION, DISTRIBUTION, AND STORAGE
This research project has developed an inventory control system for the major pavement marking materials in Ohio. Important features of this system include the establishment of a materials requirements planning for specifying a delivery schedule for pavement paint and a reorder point system for controlling glass bead inventory. This system specifies methods and procedures for acquisition, distribution, and storage of these materials from the state's twelve districts. Economic evaluation has dictated recommendations for a change to 55-gallon paint drums, for purchase of drum carts and other specialized equipment, for manpower scheduling on a four-day work week, and for multi-line striping with fast-dry paint. Additional recommendations were made for conversion of old stripers to handle fast-dry paint, for retention of a local paint supplier to deliver short-term emergency orders, and for evaluation of the proportion of contracted work awarded. The implementation of the materials control system and the related policy and procedure recommendations will result in an estimated savings of over $100,000 per year. Further savings in the three-million dollar annual budget for pavement marking could result from studies of contractor practices, state record-keeping requirements, and sampling and testing procedures.
- Sponsored by Ohio Department of Transportation and conducted in cooperation with DOT, Federal Highway Administration.
Ohio University, AthensSystems Research Services
Athens, OH United States 45701
- Stemmler, R E
- Kapka, S J
- Publication Date: 1976-7
- Pagination: 125 p.
- TRT Terms: Delivery service; Economic analysis; Handling and storage; Inventory control; Maintenance management; Physical distribution; Property acquisition; Road marking materials; Scheduling; Storage facilities
- Uncontrolled Terms: Acquisition
- Old TRIS Terms: Traffic marking materials
- Subject Areas: Economics; Freight Transportation; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00153886
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-OH-76-03 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: 14297 (0)
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 20 1977 12:00AM