THE BEHAVIOR OF WELDED HIGHWAY STRUCTURES
The primary purpose of this investigation was to study the economic and efficient use of welding for highway structures. This report summarizes the findings of this project, the scope of which includes the following five major topics. (1) Welded Reinforcing Bars. Investigations were made of various joint configurations, bar deformations, and the fatigue behavior of joints loaded within concrete beams, loaded axially within concrete blocks, and the welded bars loaded axially. (2) Weld Inspection and Quality Control. An evaluation was made of existing inspection practices, and suggestions were formulated for the development of welding inspection specifications. (3) Fatigue Behavior of Welded Joints. This investigation yielded S-N diagrams and Modified Goodman Diagrams for transverse butt welds in a low allay steel. Observations that weld geometry had a considerable effect on the fatigue transverse butt welds in a low alloy stee. Observations stages of the investigation. (4) Effect of Geometry on Fatigue Behavior. This study considered the geometry effect on the fatigue behavior of butt-welded connections by using both machined steel specimens and welded joints. A finite-differences determination of the stress concentrations produced by idealized weld geometries has been completed. (5) Fatigue Data Bank and Data Analysis Investigation. Information from 25,000 tests was accumulated and a computer program was developed for analysis of the data.
- Sponsored by Illinois Department of Transportation and prepared in cooperation with DOT, Federal Highway Administration.
University of Illinois, Urbana-ChampaignDepartment of Civil and Environmental Engineering
205 North Mathews Avenue
Urbana, IL United States 61801-2352
- Munse, W H
- Publication Date: 1975-2
- Pagination: 33 p.
- TRT Terms: Bars (Building materials); Data analysis; Data banks; Fatigue (Mechanics); Geometry; Inspection; Joints (Engineering); Mathematical analysis; Quality control; Reinforcement (Engineering); Welding; Welds
- Uncontrolled Terms: Welded joints
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00153878
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-77-S0582 Final Rpt., FCP 45F3172
- Contract Numbers: IHR-64-HP&R
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 20 1977 12:00AM