THE DRIVER EDUCATION EVALUATION PROGRAM (DEEP) STUDY. A REPORT TO THE CONGRESS
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has taken the position that a quality High School Driver Education (HSDE) program is capable of a 10-15% effect in terms of reducing the probability of crash involvement among persons exposed to it. The process of evaluating the driver education programs, the Driver Education Evaluation Program (DEEP), is reported in detail. The potential target groups for driver education efforts, their contribution to highway crashes, and the particular problem characteristics of each group are discussed: young drivers, male and female, and their crash records and problems; elderly drivers; motorcycle operators; problem and near-problem drivers; drinking drivers; and all drivers. A brief description of the implementation history of HSDE programs and a summary of post attempts to evaluate such efforts are provided. Major problems involved in the evaluation of HSDE programs are discussed and major non-NHTSA driver education activities (for adult, elderly, drinking, and handicapped drivers) are reported. NHTSA's efforts within the HSDE area and the broader traffic safety education area are described. Findings and recommendations for future efforts in these areas covering both evaluation program development efforts for both NHTSA and state programs are presented. /Author/SRIS/
- Second report to the Congress, SRIS 760244 is the first annual report.
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1976-7
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 28 p.
- TRT Terms: Adolescents; Aged drivers; Collisions; Driver records; Driver training; Drivers; Drunk drivers; Drunk driving; Evaluation; High schools; Motor vehicles; Physically handicapped persons; Problem drivers; Teenage drivers; Traffic safety education
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Society;
- Accession Number: 00153865
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Safety Council Safety Research Info Serv
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 28 1977 12:00AM