VIBRATION EXCITATION FORCES FROM A CAVITATING PROPELLER. MODEL & FULL SCALE TESTS ON A HIGH SPEED CONTAINER SHIP
In connection with the technical trials with the triple screw container ship M/S Nihon measurements of pressure fluctuations and observations of propeller cavitation were carried out. In the present report the results thus obtained are compared with the corresponding results from tests in cavitation tunnel. The comparison also includes some results of theoretical calculations. The measurements of full scale vibration are analysed and compared with criteria of comfort. The results of the investigation are summarized at the end of the report. In an Appendix the different methods used for analysing the measurements of pressure fluctuations are described and compared.
- Paper presented at the Eleventh Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, London, 28 March-2 April 1976.
Swedish State Shipbuilding Experimental TankP.O. Box 24001
S-40022 Goteborg 24, Sweden
- Johnsson, C A
- RUTGERSSON, O
- OLSSON, S
- Bjorheden, O
- Publication Date: 1976
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 49 p.
- Issue Number: 78
- TRT Terms: Atmospheric pressure; Cavitation (Mechanics); Cavitation erosion; Containerships; Propellers; Prototype tests; Stresses; Vibration
- Old TRIS Terms: Model testing; Pressure fluctuations; Propeller induced vibration
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00153807
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Swedish State Shipbuilding Experimental Tank
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 17 1977 12:00AM