THE RAPID MEASUREMENT OF THE MOISTURE CONDITION OF EARTHWORK MATERIAL
This Report describes the development of a test for the rapid measurement of the moisture condition of earthwork material. It is suggested that the method be considered for use in construction control to assess the suitability of materials in relation to the specified upper limits of moisture content, while avoiding the measurement of moisture content with its associated delays. It could also be used to provide a moisture condition parameter for correlation with the engineering behaviour of soil. The test method is based on the principles of compaction whereby the curves relating bulk density to moisture content tend to converge at moisture content values which depend on the compactive efforts used. The apparatus developed for the test is described and the results of calibrations of the apparatus on a range of soil types are given. The results indicate that a single criterion of control could be applied with the proposed test regardless of variations in soil type.
Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)Wokingham, Berkshire United Kingdom
- PARSONS, A W
- Publication Date: 1976
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 12 p.
- TRT Terms: Assessments; Bulk density; Calibration; Compaction; Construction management; Earthwork; Measurement; Moisture content; Properties of materials; Soil compaction; Soil mechanics; Soil tests; Soil water; Soils; Testing equipment
- Old TRIS Terms: Construction control; Soil compacting
- Subject Areas: Construction; Finance; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00153404
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: Lab. Rpt. 750
- Files: TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Jun 17 1977 12:00AM