FREIGHT CAR CLEARINGHOUSE EXPERIMENT. EVALUATION OF THE FIRST YEAR OF OPERATION
The freight Car Clearinghouse Experiment which was started in September 1974 is still in operation. It is a cooperative undertaking by the Southern, Missouri Pacific, and Milwaukee Railroads to improve car utilization. These railroads have been granted a temporary exemption from Car Service Rules 1 and 2 to allow these railroads to use each other's cars as though they were their own. The principal results of the evaluation of the first year of operation are: (1) the Clearinghouse has reduced empty car movements by about 5 million car miles which has an economic value of $700,000 at 14found per car mile; (2) the economic value of expected future benefits from the continued operation of the Clearinghouse as presently constituted is about $800,000 per year in car day benefits and $640,000 per year in car mile savings; and (3) because of the success of this Clearinghouse Experiment, seven additional railroads have now joined, bringing total membership to ten.
- Sponsored by the FRA's Office of Policy and Program Development, U.S. DOT, and prepared through the FRA/AAR Car Utilization Program. See also RRIS 21 139447 7701 and 24A 152669 7702.
ADD Systems2704 Easton Drive
Burlingame, CA United States 94010
Association of American Railroads50 F Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20001-1564
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1977-2-24
- Pagination: 91 p.
- TRT Terms: Car distribution (Railroads); Car operations (Railroads); Car service rules; Car utilization (Railroads); Contract rates; Empty cars (Railroads); Industry structure; Regulations; Utilization
- Identifier Terms: Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad; Missouri Pacific Railroad; Southern Railway; U.S. Interstate Commerce Commission
- Old TRIS Terms: Car cycles; Empty car distribution; Government regulations; Operating strategies; Per diem rates
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Law; Railroads; Research;
- Accession Number: 00153370
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: AAR-R-259, FRA/OPPD-77-2
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-65146
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 17 1977 12:00AM