CONSIDERATIONS IN THE ANALYSIS OF CONVENTIONAL RAILWAY TRACK SUPPORT SYSTEMS
An adequate engineering analysis of conventional railway track support system (CRTSS) requires the consideration of all the major components of the track support system. Past efforts in this area have not been satisfactory because of lack of proper material characterization and very simplified modelling of the CRTSS. An attempt has been made to model the CRTSS using the finite element method that would allow a determination of the transient response of the CRTSS by incorporating proper material characterization. Because of the complex three-dimensional geometry, the analytical modelling was divided into two stages; namely, a longitudinal analysis stage and a transverse analysis stage. Stress dependent material properties of the ballast, the subballast, and the subgrade can be used with the finite element model. The finite element model has been validated using the measured response at Section 9 of the Kansas Test Track. Good agreement was obtained between the measured response and that calculated using the finite element model. The structural model was used to study the effects of major design parameters on the response of the CRTSS.
- This doctoral dissertation was announced in Dissertation Abstracts International B: The Sciences and Engineering, Vol. 37, No. 1 (July 1976), p 375-B. See also by same Author RRIS 01 133229, 01 148272- 274, all Bulletin 7701, on CRTSS.
University of Illinois, Urbana-ChampaignDepartment of Civil and Environmental Engineering
205 North Mathews Avenue
Urbana, IL USA 61801-2352
- Tayabji, S D
- Publication Date: 1976
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 166 p.
- TRT Terms: Ballast (Railroads); Finite element method; Mathematical models; Railroad tracks; Stiffness; Subballast; Subgrade (Pavements); Train track dynamics
- Uncontrolled Terms: Track stiffness
- Old TRIS Terms: Ballast stiffness; Track response investigations; Track structures
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00153066
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Report/Paper Numbers: Dissertatn
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 31 1977 12:00AM