CREOSOTED BOX CULVERTS STRONG, DURABLE, FLEXIBLE
Box culverts of prefabricated units of properly treated wood are described which satisfy the requirements of strength, durability, easy movability, and possible future lengthening to fit under a wider roadway. More than 100 creosoted wood box culverts ranging in size from 2 x 2-ft square openings up to multiple spans of 7.5 ft have been installed in Dallas County. These include both standard as well as skewed structures of special design. In some cases, the existing box culverts have been extended by adding a treated wood box at one or both ends. Treated timber culverts have proved invaluable in carrying off drainage with sufficient acid content (from coal mine wastes) to cause failure in culverts made of other materials. These culverts are constructed with separate wall sections in 4-ft lengths which interlock. These structures can be assembled in place in very little time.
American Wood Preservers Institute1651 Old Meadow Road
McLean, VA United States 22101
- Stacey, W A
- Publication Date: 1957-11
- Features: Figures; Photos;
- Pagination: 2 p.
- TRT Terms: Box culverts; Creosote; Drainage; Prefabricated structures; Wood preservatives; Wood structures
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00153020
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Report HC0.15
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 19 1977 12:00AM